Communication Center Consultant
GMU's Communication Center is seeking consultants for the 2022 - 2023 school year. Consultants support students through one-on-one coaching focused on developing public speaking skills virtually and face-to-face. Many students are required to attend the Communication Center because they are enrolled in COMM 101, but the Center's services are open to the entire campus. Starting in the Fall, newly hired consultants will work an average of 10 - 20 hours per week virtually and/or face-to-face (COVID permitting) and be paid $12 per hour.
We are specifically looking for consultants who meet the following criteria:
- Are available to work 10 - 20 hours weekly.
- Have taken, and excelled in, COMM 100 or COMM 101.
- Have a supportive, engaging personality that would make clients feel comfortable.
- Have strong written communication skills (e.g., grammar, outlining, organization).
- Have strong oral communication skills (e.g., eye contact, gestures, facial expressions).
- Are familiar with APA style.
*This position is open to UNDERGRADUATES. Only current FRESHMEN, SOPHOMORES, and JUNIORS may apply.*
- Cover letter that discusses your interest in being a Communication Center Coach and the experiences that have prepared you for this role
- Current CV or Resume
- A copy of your current transcripts (an unofficial printout from Patriotweb is fine)
- Contact information(email and phone)for three references. **References may include previous instructors/teachers, employers, volunteer service coordinators, athletic coaches, extracurricular program leaders/advisors, and points of contact for similar types of activities or involvement.**
- Name of COMM 100 or COMM 101 instructor at Mason (if applicable)