Digital Innovation Graduate Research Fellow
The project's objective is to design energy optimization tasks on the digital twin of a building. You will work with faculty mentors in implementing controls in a 3D building model. You will also be introduced to DoD research and you will have an opportunity to meet several partners who will discuss various use cases to try on the digital twin.
We seek six (6) graduate students for a 10-week term between May 25, 2022, and August 24, 2022. The position is budgeted to receive $8,000 for doctoral students; $6,000 for master's students. Students must commit to at least 40 hours per week.
Students are expected to work on the following:
- Design the rest-based services on the Mobile Edge server for processing power, HVAC, and water requirements in the simulated building, creating a service interface for physical access control (including controlled card access to rooms)
- Set up the learning system on the M.E.C.
- Set up a rudimentary rule system to accurately assess HVAC, water, and power for the building
- Set up a simulated access system to all the doors
- Enrolled in a graduate program at George Mason University.
- All applicants must possess a background/experience in designing and developing secure applications running on network software using machine learning.
- Work as a team with other research assistants with complementary skills on the project.
- Motivated and able to work independently.
- Selected awardees should concentrate on fellowship research during the award period and should not accept additional fellowships, internal assignments, or outside employment.
- Must be able to participate in DoD research seminars and meet community partners to understand use cases.
- Doctoral students are expected to apply to compete in Mason's 2023 3MT™ after completing the fellowship. Master's students are expected to present a poster or make an oral presentation in the 2023 Mason Graduate Interdisciplinary Conference after completion of the fellowship.
Please submit an unofficial transcript and a resume highlighting any projects or skills that fit the general requirements by February 21, 2022, at 11:55 pm:
Applicants should be available in early March for Zoom- or phone-based interviews with faculty mentors and Mason's Institute for Digital InnovAtion staff. Fellowships will be announced by March 14.