UCS Scholarship for Unpaid Internships - Fall 2020
University Career Services - Scholarship for Unpaid Internships
The Scholarship for Unpaid Internships is open to all Mason students (undergraduate AND graduate) who plan to participate in an unpaid internship and meet the criteria listed below. The Scholarship for Unpaid Internships is designed to provide financial support to students completing an UNPAID internship who may incur costs associated with the internship (e.g. transportation, wardrobe, materials, or lost wages from missed paid employment) that can be a challenge in obtaining valuable internship experience. Students may receive up to $2,500 per semester/term. Note: Research positions are not eligible for this scholarship. Please visit OSCAR or your academic department for information about research funding.
Preference in selection is given to students completing their FIRST internship/career experience in their chosen career field or industry AND/OR demonstration of financial hardship incurred by taking on an unpaid internship experience.
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Currently enrolled, degree-seeking student at George Mason University during the time of the internship
- Current Resume
- Letter of Recommendation (academic or professional)
- Short Answer Questions (maximum 250 words per question. Please upload in the same file as your Letter of Recommendation. Be sure your name is prominently displayed.
- What type of internship are you seeking and why is participating in an internship important to your career goals?
- What are some professional skills you hope to develop with this internship and why (including, but not limited to the “Career Readiness Competencies” today’s employers are looking for: critical thinking/problem solving, oral/written communication, teamwork/collaboration, digital technology, professionalism/work ethic, career management, global/intercultural fluency)?
- The selection committee will consider the financial need of the applicant when selecting scholarship awardees. How would this award impact your ability to participate in an unpaid internship experience?
Application Cycle: FALL 2020
We will be collecting applications in July 2020 for internships that will take place during the fall 2020 academic terms (~August to ~December).
Applicants will be notified of the selection committee's decision approximately 30 days after the application deadline.
Important things to know
- Students can apply for the scholarship before securing an internship; selected recipients will be asked to provide proof they have secured an internship before any monies will be paid to their student account (Internship Verification Form).
- Internships can be for academic credit or not-for-credit.
- This scholarship is considered financial aid and receipt of an award may have an effect on your existing financial aid package.
- Awards are paid to your Mason student account and will be applied to any outstanding balance on your account first. If there is not an outstanding balance, then the monies will be provided to the student by the Student Accounts Office.
- Awards will be paid out near the beginning of the academic term, after the drop/add deadline.
- International students ARE eligible for the scholarship; however additional paperwork may be required after you have been selected and the amount may be subject to taxes.