UCS Unpaid Internship Scholarship - Fall 2018
University Career Services - Unpaid Internship Scholarship
The Unpaid Internship Scholarship is open to all Mason students (undergraduate AND graduate) who undertake an unpaid internship and meet the criteria listed below. The Unpaid Internship Scholarship is designed to provide financial support to students completing an UNPAID internship who may incur additional costs associated with the internship (transportation, wardrobe, materials, tuition or lost wages from time missed from paid employment for the internship). Students may receive up to $1,000 during the fall and spring semesters, and up to $4,000 during the summer term. Note: Research positions are not eligible for this scholarship. Please visit OSCAR or your department for information about research funding.
Preference in selection is given to students completing their first internship/career experience in their chosen field of study and/or demonstration of financial hardship incurred by taking on an unpaid internship experience.
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- Minimum 30 university-level credits completed prior to the internship (inclusive of transfer and AP/IB credits)
- Currently enrolled, degree-seeking student at George Mason University
- Current Resume
- Essay: 250 words on what the applicant hopes to gain from this internship experience as it relates to their academic or career goals
- Letter of Recommendation (academic or professional)
- Detailed budget of the costs associated with internship participation; this may include: (transportation, wardrobe, materials, tuition, child/dependent care, lost wages from work time missed from paid employment for the internship or other costs).
Fall Internships (~Aug. - Dec.): September 15
Spring Internships (~Jan. - May): January 30
Summer Internships (~May - Aug.) : February 30
Applicants will be notified of the selection committee's decision approximately 30 days after the application deadline.
Important things to know
- Awardees must provide proof they have secured an internship before any monies will be awarded (Internship Verification Form).
- Internships can be for academic credit or not-for-credit.
- This scholarship is considered financial aid and receipt of an award may have an effect on your existing financial aid package.
- Awards are paid to your Mason student account and will be applied to any outstanding balance on your account first. If there is not an outstanding balance, then the monies will be provided to the student.
- Awards will be paid out in 2 separate payments over the course of the academic term.
- International students ARE eligible for the scholarship; however additional paperwork may be required after you have been selected and the amount may be subject to taxes.
- Awardees will be required to complete a post-internship survey and short writing assignment after completing the internship.